Patron Responsibilities and Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct
The East Hampton Public Library is committed to providing a safe, welcoming and comfortable environment for all library patrons.
The Library Director or his or her designee is authorized to remove and/or exclude individuals whose behavior or actions impinges on the library’s ability to fulfill its established function, or impairs the ability of other library patrons to use the facility.
To maintain a safe, welcoming and comfortable environment for all, unacceptable behavior includes but is not limited to:
- Engaging in any activity in violation of Federal, State, Local or other applicable law.
- Carrying firearms or dangerous weapons of any type, except by law enforcement.
- Being under the influence of, selling, using or possessing alcohol or illegal drugs.
- Threatening, harassing or intimidating other patrons, library staff, or volunteers by word or act.
- Stealing, damaging, or altering library property or the property of library patrons or staff.
- Smoking or vaping anywhere in the library complex.
- Misusing public restroom facilities, including bathing or doing laundry.
- Using emergency exits for non-emergency departures.
- Failing to maintain an acceptable standard of personal hygiene.
- Engaging in inappropriate displays of affection or sexual activity.
- Soliciting or conducting surveys not authorized by the library.
- Taking photos, video or audio recording without authorization by the library.
- Failing to wear proper attire including shoes and shirts.
- Engaging in disorderly conduct or any behavior which disrupts use of the library or interferes with the library operations.
- Neglecting to provide proper supervision of children.
- Using a false ID to obtain a library card or use of another person’s library card without prior written permission.
- Engaging in unreasonable noise levels including shouting, loud talking, disruptive conversation, allowing ringing cell phones or engaging in loud cell phone conversations.
- Viewing pornographic material.
If a patron engages in any prohibited behavior(s), the patron will be asked to cease the activity. If the patron fails to stop the behavior or repeatedly engages in prohibited behaviors, the patron may be asked the leave the library immediately. A repeated failure to comply with this policy may lead to a temporary or permanent ban from the library.
The East Hampton Public Library further follows the Town of East Hampton’s Code of Conduct. The Code is included in the Town of East Hampton’s Employee Handbook and is part of the Code of the Town of East Hampton available at www.easthamptonct.gov.
Library staff is not responsible for the care of unsupervised children in the library.
By Connecticut State Law, children under the age of 12 may not be left unsupervised in a place of public accommodation for a period of time that may represent substantial risk to the child’s health or safety. (Connecticut General Statutes, Section 53-21a). If the child is attending a library program, a parent/responsible person is to remain in the library throughout the program.
If a child is left alone at the library, the police may be called. If the child is left alone at closing time, two staff members will remain with the child until either a parent or a police officer arrives. Library staff or volunteers are prohibited from driving a child home.
Animals in the Facility
The East Hampton Public Library prohibits all parties from bringing animals into the facility with the exception of working animals serving as aids to the disabled and animals invited for the purpose of public programs.
(Approved by the Library Advisory Board 12/4/17. Approved by the Town Council 12/12/17.)